Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Bacon Pie

My husband is not a "healthy" eater. It took several years of marriage before he would eat anything green. He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy; so when I would try to convince him to eat quiche he looked at me like I was crazy.

Then one day my cousin Jill was telling me that she makes "sausage pie" for her twins. What is sausage pie you ask? It's quiche! Her soon to be 4 year old son just calls it sausage pie! I was explaining what sausage pie was to my husband he looked at me and said "Why have you never made that for me?!" SERIOUSLY?!

So now "breakfast pie" is a staple in our house; and since I am on a budget and had bacon (but no sausage) we had bacon pie. Make this soon. It's yummy. Your husbands will thank you, trust me!

Bacon Pie:

Here's what you need:
4 strips of bacon- We like the thick cut stuff
1/2 yellow onion- chopped
8 oz Velveeta
1-2 tblsp of milk
1 pie crust

First brown some bacon. I  like to chop the bacon before I fry it. My mom crumbles her's after she's fried it. Either way works.



Then put the cooked bacon on a paper towel to drain. Pour off all but a little of the grease. Add 1/2 of a chopped yellow onion. Saute that until the onion is soft and nice a caramelized. (I didn't get a picture of the onion :(- SORRY! ) 

Next chop up 8 oz of Velveeta. I use the 2% milk kind. Put it in a microwave safe bowl and add a splash of milk.




 Put it in the microwave for a minute and then stir. If it's not melted put it in for another minute and stir. Continue till all the cheese melts.


 Next beat 6 eggs. Add the onions, bacon, and cheese sauce to the eggs.

I used store bought crust, if you wanted to make homemade pie crust GO FOR IT! I'm sure it will be amazing, but I am not that dedicated tonight so store bought crust it is.

Pour the egg mixture into the crust.


Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until the eggs are set.  When you pull it out it should look something like this.



And that my friends is bacon pie. You're welcome. Thanks for sharing Jill!

Just don't tell my husband it's a quiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment