Friday, February 3, 2012

Motorcycles

Being pregnant you get very emotional over silly stuff sometimes. Today I am very overwhelmed with thankfulness. Ryan found someone to buy his motorcycle and the guy is willing to give us to amount we are asking for. PRAISE GOD! That will pay off the loan and give us a little to use towards a new vehicle for him.

I am thankful not just because God placed someone in our path to buy it, but because Ryan was willing to sell it. There are so many men out there who are selfish when it comes to their "toys". Don't get me wrong, I know it breaks his heart a little to see it go, like it's ending a period of his life; and in a way it kind of is. He LOVES motorcycles. We had so many good times riding around on one of his bikes either in Arlington, Fort Worth or around here in Houston.

Motorcycles are actually part of how we started dating. We met on January 4 2008 at Pete's Piano Bar in FW. I was there with 2 teacher friends and he was there on a blind date with another marine and his girlfriend (he was there with the girlfriend's friend). They were sitting next to us. I was dancing around and accidentally knocked into him and was MORTIFIED! I quickly apologized and his smart-A remark was "well I didn't say anything the first 2 times!" I could have crawled into a hole! LOL! Later that night he came up and asked to buy me a drink to which I quickly declined- HELLO?! I CAN SEE YOU ARE ON A DATE YOU SKEEZE!! He informed me it was blind date and there was no "chemistry". I still declined the drink but we got to talking and I found out he was in the military and from Alabama. We had a good conversation (as far as bar conversations go) and he asked for my number. I obliged and we exchanged numbers. The girls I came with and I were about to go and he grabbed my hand and asked me make sure I got home safely. I laughed and walked out the door. In the car on the way home I was driving with Cassie and I started thinking of how sweet it seemed that he cared about me getting home. I decided to do something I am TOTALLY against- I called HIM! It was about a 30 second conversation that went something like this "Hey this is Casey, the girl you were trying to pick up tonight- I just wanted to say that I hope you're careful getting home tonight to. Don't die okay?" He just laughed and said "Ok". I hung up.

After that I was 90% sure I would never hear from him again. Oh well. I had made plans to hang out with some other friends the next day- Saturday. I was free that night though. Around 6 I got a text from Ryan asking if I wanted to go on a motorcycle ride. Being a good southern girl I immediately called my momma and asked her advice, which went something like this "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR F-ING MIND! YOU DON'T KNOW THIS GUY FROM ADAM!!! HE COULD KIDNAP YOU! I THOUGHT YOU HAD MORE SENSE THAN THAT!!!!" **See where I get my flair for the dramatic?!** So in true Casey-fashion I texted him back "ummm thanks but I don't know you. You could rape me, kill me, cut me up, and leave me on the side of the road" He replied back "wow. ooook. how bout coffee?" Much better plan. I am still AMAZED that he still wanted to get together.

Being a single girl living in Arlington I told him I didn't know where to meet so he would have to come up with that. Most guys would probably choose somewhere like Starbucks for coffee on a first date, but not Ryan. My southern gentleman suggested Waffle House. I giggled to myself because the waffle house by my apartment knew me well because I would go sit and study there after my night classes. We met there around 9 and stayed until around 3 when the after-bar crowd started coming in and the waitress probably wanted her table free. I then did the UNSPEAKABLE! I invited him back to my apartment to watch a movie- but told him if he made a move I had a gun and would not hesitate to shoot him. LOL! I of course had no such gun and wouldn't have known how to fire it if I did.

He came back to my apartment at which point I realized I teach pre-school I only have G rated movies. Woops! We watched Finding Nemo and both feel asleep on the couch. The next morning I promptly FREAKED OUT that he as STILL THERE! He didn't make a single move on me, we didn't kiss or anything but still A GUY WAS IN MY APARTMENT. The good ETBU student in me felt guilty! He woke up and could tell I was not sure how to react. He said he had to get back to base for an afternoon workout and would call me later. He walked over hugged me, thanked me for our "date" and kissed me on the forehead.

I didn't hear from him till Monday (the next day). We DID go on a brief motorcycle ride then. And he essentially spent every day and honestly a lot of nights at my apartment from that Monday night till well.... we got married a whole long 3 months later.

This is the craziest, most irrational dating story I have ever heard. If it was one of my friends I would have told her she had lost her dang mind, but I guess it taught me not to judge.

I am gonna miss having a motorcycle, every time we rode I thought of that story. I know one day we will buy another one. I just thought I would share a little of our story with y'all today. I am one lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment